Frequently Asked Questions

Undergraduate Advising

How do I make an appointment?

Individual advising appointments for current undergraduate students are made up to two weeks in advance. Post-baccalaureate and graduate students are advised by the students’ program coordinator or designated faculty.

Current undergraduate students in the College of Education should visit to schedule an appointment.

Current undergraduate students with a secondary education minor need to call the Student Advising Office at (940) 565-2736 to schedule an appointment. Only students that have participated in an information session through EDCI (formerly, EDSE) 3800 or have viewed the secondary and all-level teacher certification video may schedule an appointment.

Current undergraduate students interested in changing major to the College of Education need to call the Student Advising Office at (940) 565-2736 to schedule an appointment.

Available at limited times through the semester, same-day walk-in appointments can be scheduled at Students may reserve a walk-in appointment beginning at 8:00 a.m. the day of walk-ins.


When can I register for classes?
See schedule on the registrar’s website at:

Where do I get a code to register for classes, if I am on probation, a returning student, or on academic action?
You need to make an appointment with an advisor in the Student Advising Office.

Where do I get required codes for classes?
Contact the department that handles the class. For example: If you need a code for a HDFS class, contact the Human Development and Family Science Office. You can find the phone number for each department in the UNT Catalog at

How do I drop my classes?
If it web registration is open, please visit the Help Website for My UNT for drop instructions on page 11. After add/drop, you will need to pick up a drop slip at the Registrar’s Office, have the instructor sign it, and then return it to the Registrar’s Office to have your drop request processed. Please see the registrar's page for more information and drop deadlines.

Where do I find payment information and the cost of attending UNT?
This information is found on the Student Accounting and University Cashiering website.

Teacher Education

How do I get admitted into Teacher Education as an undergraduate?
Instructions can be found here: Admission to Teacher Education

How do I apply for Secondary level Teacher Certification, if I am an undergraduate?
Instructions can be found here: Admission to Teacher Education

What is the PDS and how do I apply?
The Elementary Education Professional Development School (PDS) comprises the last two semesters of the certification program. The first semester consists of two consecutive days per week in coursework and two consecutive days per week at a school. You must be available from 8:00 am-3:30 PM, Monday through Thursday. The second semester is the student teaching semester. You will be in a classroom full-time, the hours are regular school hours Monday through Friday (approximately 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.). The semester prior to your PDS you will need to visit with the Clinical Practice Office in Matthews Hall 119 in order to apply for PDS.

Degree | Certification Audit

What is a degree audit and how do I get one?
A degree audit is a contract between you and the University which lists all courses you have completed and all courses required to complete your degree. Contact your advisor to draw a degree audit.  

What is a certification plan?
A certification plan is for students that have a bachelor’s degree in any field and would like to pursue a teaching certificate. The certification plan will list the courses a student needs for certification.

Can a degree audit expire?
Yes. Degree audits are based on the requirements in a catalog that is published every academic year. Each catalog has an eight-year expiration date and the requirements to earn a degree under that catalog also expire. To receive a degree, you must complete all requirements before the catalog expires.

What is a course substitution?
A course substitution is a course taken instead of a course listed on a degree audit. It is always best to follow your degree audit, but you may see your advisor if you have a question about substitutions. Students may substitute a class with written approval from the appropriate entity. A substitution in the university core must start with your Academic Advisor. The request would be forwarded to the Associate Dean for Academic Educator Preparation and Academic Affairs for a final decision. A substitution in the major must come from the department that offers the course.


How long will it take to get certified?
It depends upon which courses you have already completed. Your advisor will be able to help you draw a degree audit or certification plan which lists the classes you need for certification.

How do I apply for certification?
Once you have completed all coursework and passed all required TExES exams, you will apply for certification through your TEA account at UNT will be notified when you have applied for certification. You will receive an email from TEA once UNT has recommended you for certification.

When do I need to take the TExES exams?
This varies depending on your program. Consult your program or the TExES Advising Office. Registration bulletins are available through the ETS website or in the TExES Advising Office in Matthews Hall, Room 103.

Will my certification transfer to other states?
Requirements vary from state to state. Most states will require you to make up coursework (such as state history or government) and/or take an exam to transfer your certificate to their state. Check with the state education agency in the state you are interested in for exact requirements.

Can I add certification in other fields just by passing the appropriate TExES exam(s)?
Once you have received your initial teaching certificate, you may add certifications in additional classroom teaching fields by passing the appropriate TExES exam(s) and applying for certification through your TEA account. This is considered "certification by exam only." Contact the TExES Advising Office for more information.