Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I would like to make an appointment with an advisor to discuss programs and the transfer of credits. How do I schedule an appointment?

The College of Education Student Advising Office hosts Prospective Student Advising Sessions. These advising sessions have been created to provide prospective students with general information. It is the Student Advising Office's goal to help students make informed decisions about whether they want to attend UNT. We believe that by sharing information about our College of Education, students will make informed and productive decisions to help them reach their academic goals.

Q: Who is my advisor?

The College of Education Student Advising Office (SAO) has two advising teams dedicated to partnering with students from the beginning of their College of Education experience to the completion of their academic program, certification, and graduation-The Interdisciplinary and Multidisciplinary teams.

Q: When do I register for classes?

All new UNT students are required to attend an orientation session before registering for their first semester of classes. Orientation sessions are held in June and include information on campus life, housing, registration, financial aid, scholarships and more. During each orientation session, students and their guests attend an information session on curriculum and the specifics of each degree program. Orientation information is usually sent out with each student's acceptance packet. See our Orientation and Transition Program for more information.

Q: Does the College of Education offer scholarships?

Yes. A full list and application procedures are available on our scholarships page.

Q: What major do I declare when I apply to UNT?

There are five undergraduate majors within the College of Education:

Interdisciplinary Studies (Early Childhood-6th Grade or 4-8th Grade Teacher Certification)

Development & Family Studies


Health Promotion

Recreation, Event and Sport Management

If you are planning on seeking a secondary education certificate, you will declare a major in your disciplinary department. For example, if you plan to teach History, you would declare a History major; if you plan to teach Math you would declare Math as your major.

Q: Are there requirements to be admitted to Teacher Education?

Yes. The Student Advising Office maintains a list of instructions for Teacher Certification.

Q: What student organizations are available to students inside the College of Education?

Whether you are a new or returning student, the College of Education has a student organization to meet your needs. Clubs within the college cater to a wide variety of interests, professional development goals and schedules. They are the perfect way to make new friends, as well as gain valuable information that may help you perform better in a class or land a great job. All student organizations at UNT are registered through the Office of Student Activities, which is located in the Office of the Dean of Students. If you have questions about registered student organizations other than the ones listed below, please visit the Student Activities Website.