Texas School Counselor Certification Deficiency

For individuals who hold a bachelor's but not a master's degree in counseling, UNT counseling program master's degrees meet the educational requirement for Texas school counselor certification.

Individuals who already hold a master's degree in counseling from a CACREP-accredited program may pursue the elementary or secondary public School Counseling Certification Endorsement track. By the time the student completes the required coursework, (s)he must also have two years of teaching experience in an accredited school and pass the TExES: Counselor test to become certified as a public school counselor in Texas. Individuals seeking certification in other states are urged to contact the relevant state(s) because their requirements may differ. Although Texas issues only one type of counseling certificate for P-12, the counseling program will endorse a graduate only for the track (elementary or secondary) that (s)he completed. Students pursuing this track must have a completed Certification Deficiency Worksheet on file in the counseling office and a College of Education Deficiency plan on file with the college prior to enrollment in the first counseling (prefix COUN) course.

Admission Requirements

1) A completed master's degree in counseling from a CACREP-accredited program; individuals who have a master’s degree in counseling from a non-accredited program may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

2) Applicants with a master’s degree from an institution other than UNT may need go through the UNT counseling master’s degree admissions process and may be required to complete at least 12 hours of coursework in the program, to continue with licensure deficiency coursework.

3) Unofficial transcripts of all graduate coursework sent to the Counseling Program Office. There, an official School Counselor Certification Deficiency Worksheet will be completed. The outcome of this deficiency analysis will determine whether

  • You may apply to the Toulouse Graduate School and, upon acceptance, proceed with coursework, or
  • You must also apply to the Master's Program in Counseling before proceeding with coursework.

For more information, contact:

Rita Hay
Program in Counseling
College of Education
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle #310829
Denton, TX 76203-5017
Phone: 940.565.2910
Fax: 940.565.2905
TDD: 800.735.2989 Counseling Programs