Texas Professional Counselor Licensure Deficiency

For individuals who hold a bachelor's degree but do not hold a master's degree in counseling, UNT counseling program master's degrees meet the educational requirement for Texas Professional Counselor Licensure.

Individuals who already hold a master's degree in counseling from a CACREP-accredited program but who do not meet all requirements for Licensure as a Professional Counselor in Texas may pursue the Professional Counselor Licensure Endorsement track. This track requires participants to meet the substantial equivalent of all current requirements in our CACREP accredited degree tracks; CACREP accreditation does not allow the counseling program to provide an alternative academic route into the profession that involves fewer requirements than our accredited tracks. Applicants should be aware that UNT's 60-hour Clinical Mental Health Counseling program exceeds Texas licensure requirements. A student's coursework is determined on a case-by-case basis through consultation with a program faculty advisor. Students pursuing this track must have a completed Licensure Deficiency Worksheet on file in the counseling office prior to enrollment in the first counseling course.

Admission Requirements

1) A completed master's degree in counseling from a CACREP-accredited program; individuals who have a master’s degree in counseling from a non-accredited program may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

2) Applicants with a master’s degree from an institution other than UNT may need to go through the UNT counseling master’s degree admissions process and may be required to complete at least 12 hours of coursework in the program, to continue with licensure deficiency coursework.

3) Unofficial transcripts of all graduate coursework sent to the Counseling Program Office. There, an official Licensure Deficiency Worksheet will be completed. The outcome of this deficiency analysis will determine whether

  • You may apply to the Toulouse Graduate School and, upon acceptance, proceed with coursework, or
  • You must also apply to the Master's Program in Counseling before proceeding with coursework.

For more information, contact:

Rita Hay
Program in Counseling
College of Education
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle #310829
Denton, TX 76203-5017
Phone: 940.565.2910
Fax: 940.565.2905
TDD: 800.735.2989 Counseling Programs