Frequently Asked Questions about Counseling

On this page, you will find answers to some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about counseling at the Child and Family Resource Clinic.

What is counseling?

The American Counseling Association (ACA) defines counseling as

a professional relationship that empowers diverse individuals, families, and groups to accomplish mental health, wellness, education, and career goals.

Counseling is appropriate for children, adolescents, and adults who are experiencing difficulties in interpersonal relationships (e.g., conflicts with family, friends, or co-workers), emotional struggles, and/or life changes or transitions. Counseling is also appropriate for people who are interested in facilitating personal growth or making changes in their lives.

Who are your counselors? What kind of training do they have?

Our counselors are comprised of advanced doctoral-level interns and advanced master's-level interns under supervision in the Counseling Program at the University of North Texas. Our doctoral-level interns have already attained their master's degree in counseling or a related field and often have temporary or full licensure as professional counselors in the State of Texas. Our master's-level interns are advanced counselors-in-training who are in their final semesters of graduate work. All counselors attend weekly supervision in the Counseling Program at UNT.

Where is the Child and Family Resource Clinic located?

The CFRC is located on the University of North Texas campus. Please click here for directions and contact information.

How much does counseling cost?

We offer a sliding scale fee based on annual gross income. Clients are encouraged to work with their counselors so that counseling fees work within each client's financial situation. Additionally, the CFRC does not decline counseling services to clients based on financial hardship.

Do you take insurance?

The CFRC does not currently provide direct billing to insurance or 3rd parties. However, your counselor can provide you with documentation to support your attendance at counseling sessions.

How often will I meet with my counselor?

Typically, counseling sessions are scheduled on a weekly basis. You will meet with your counselor on a mutually agreed upon day and time each week.

Are my sessions confidential?

Counselors at the CFRC strive to protect your privacy and hold the information you share during your counseling sessions confidential. All counselors at the CFRC adhere to the ethical guidelines of the American Counseling Association (ACA) and legal requirements of the Texas Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors. There are, however, some exceptions to confidentiality. Counselors are required to release certain information in situations in which there is potential harm to yourself or others, in instances of child abuse, or as a result of a court order. Whereas these types of events are extremely rare, you should know that these possibilities exist. Our overall goal is to make the CFRC a place where you feel safe to talk about personal concerns.

I have kids and cannot find child care for them during my counseling sessions. Do you provide child care services?

Yes. Our office manager and student workers are trained in basic child care skills. If you cannot find alternative childcare, we can watch your child for the duration of your session.

Do you provide services to people who do not attend UNT?

Yes! Our clinic is primarily designed to serve the Denton area community. We are a community agency that provides services to adults, adolescents, couples, and children, whether or not they attend or have attended University of North Texas.

I am a student at UNT. Can I receive counseling from CFRC?

We primarily provide counseling services to the community. Students may receive a limited number of counseling sessions at the UNT Counseling and Testing Services free of charge. After attending counseling at UNT Counseling and Testing, they may refer you to CFRC.