- Admissions and Advising
- Degrees and Programs
- Teacher Certification
- Alumni and Friends
Steps to Teacher Certification
1) Apply and be admitted to the UNT Teacher Education Program
2) Register for courses in one of UNT's Teacher Certification programs
3) Complete all certification program requirements
4) Pass all required state certification exams
5) Bachelor’s degree (officially posted to transcript) – undergraduates only
6) Apply for Standard Teacher Certificate through the Texas Education Agency website
a. Pay all applicable fees
b. Complete fingerprinting
7) Recommended to the state by UNT
When to Apply for Your Standard Teacher Certificate
Students should apply at the end of their last semester after they have completed Student Teaching/Practicum/Internship and passed all state certification exams. Students should not apply if they have not completed all program requirements or have not passed all required exams for teacher certification. If you have not taken your TExES exams, please visit the TExES Advising Office website for more information.
How to apply: Applying for Certification/Fingerprinting Process
Do not apply early - your application will be removed.
For example, If you are finishing your teacher certification program in December 2015, do not apply before Friday, December 4th.
1. Review steps to Applying for Certification and Fingerprinting
2. Go to www.tea.texas.gov
- Log into your educator (TEAL) account. If you have not set up your account, the system will prompt you to create one. For more information, please review the TEAL/ETS Registration Guide. This guide will help you set up your TEAL account, obtain your TEA ID#, create your ETS account, and register for your certification exams.
3. When completing the application on the TEA website, you will be asked to select your recommending entity from a drop down menu. You will select one of the following options:
Option 1: University of North Texas (University Based)
Who uses Option 1:
All undergraduate students; Post-baccalaureate Secondary Online; Post-Baccalaureate Elementary (EC-6); Reading Specialist; Non-CPE Health Science Technology; Non-CPE Trade and Industrial Education; Marketing Education; Technology Applications; Gifted and Talented; Principal; Superintendent; School Librarian; School Counselor; Educational Diagnostician
Option 2: University of North Texas (Alternative)
IMPACT (Post-baccalaureate Special Education EC-12), Trade and Industrial Education CPE, Health Science &Technology CPE
Option 3: University of North Texas (Master Teacher)
Master Reading Teacher, Master Technology Teacher
NOTE: If you select the wrong recommending entity, your application will be removed and you will be required to submit a new application with the appropriate recommending entity selected. You may be required to pay the application fee again and complete a refund request through the Texas Education Agency for a refund of the fee from the incorrect application.
4. Pay all applicable fees and complete the fingerprinting process
The typical process for Teacher Certification is as follows:
- Student applies to the Texas Education Agency (TEA), pays online, and completes fingerprinting process
- Student receives TEA system-generated email acknowledging application
- Entity reviews application and submits recommendation for student after verifying all requirements have been met
- Student receives TEA system-generated email stating they have been recommended
- TEA runs criminal background check on applicant
- Applicant is certified if background check is clear