Steps to Teacher Certification
Steps to Teacher Certification
1) Enroll and register for courses in one of UNT’s teacher certification programs
2) Complete all certification program requirements
3) Pass all required certification exams
4) Apply for certification on the Texas Education Agency website
5) Graduate (degree posts to transcript)-undergraduates only
6) Recommended to the state by UNT
Admission to Teacher Education
The following process must be completed prior to enrolling in any education course:
- Students will need to be admitted to Teacher Education (TED).
- Undergraduate students are encouraged to make an appointment with a COE advisor to complete the Teacher Education Application. Post-Baccalaureate students should contact their program for information on applying to Teacher Education.
- Teacher Education Applications may be downloaded online:
- Students applying to Teacher Education are required to complete the admission questionnaire on the College of Education’s TK20 website. For directions on how to complete the admission questionnaire online, please click here.
- Applications will be processed within 7 business days of completing of the admission questionnaire.
- Once you have been admitted into Teacher Education, you will be eligible to register for teacher education courses. Please call the Student Advising Office at 940-565-2736 if you get a message stating that you are blocked when trying to register for education courses.
TExES Certification Exams
For information regarding teacher certification exams please visit the TExES Advising Office website, in person at Matthews Hall 103, or by calling (940) 369-8601.
Undergraduate Graduation Application
Undergraduate students must submit a Graduation Application during the application period for the semester they plan to graduate. Undergraduate Graduation Applications are obtained from the Registrar’s Office in the Eagle Student Services Center (ESSC) and application deadlines are posted in the catalog, schedule of classes, and on the Registrar’s website.
College of Education undergraduate students should turn in their completed graduation applications to the Student Advising Office in Matthews Hall room 105. All non-College of Education undergraduate students should turn their applications into the advising office in the college of their major.
Graduate students should contact the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies for graduation information, applications, and deadlines.
Recommendations for Teacher Education
When you have completed all program requirements and passed all required exams for teacher certification you will apply for your certificate through the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
Once all certification requirements have been completed and the Registrar’s Office has posted your official degree to your transcript (undergraduates only), UNT will recommend you for certification to the State Board for Educator Certification. Undergraduate students should note that it may take up to 6 weeks after graduation for your degree to be officially posted to your transcript.